Wise Up Wednesday – Technology Changes, Problems Don’t!
Technology Changes, Problems Don’t!
As a Specialist Contractor, Trade Contractor, or Subcontractor you are an expert in what you do, whether that’s groundworks or roofing or anything else in between.
And if you have been around a while you will know how technology has changed over the years, whether that’s the materials, tools and techniques you use, or the mobile phone in your hand.
But, irrespective of your size or specialisation there are usually a number of commercial and contractual challenges that haven’t changed over the years, and they are going to impact your business from time to time.
Speaking Of Being Around A While
This is my 52 year in construction. Crikey that’s a long time!
It’s also my 32nd year of professional service to you guys, helping you to resolve problems and disputes. And, as you can probably imagine, in all that time I have dealt with an awful lot of different issues. And unfortunately there are a number of problems that keep on coming around.
Here are the top 20 issues that most Specialist Contractors, Trade Contractors and Subcontractors struggle with despite doing a great job on site and being an expert in your trade.
Unfair Contract Terms
- Subcontracts which do not properly reflect what’s been agreed or are badly drafted
- Lack of understanding of the terms of the contract
- Not complying with key contractual provisions
- Contractor’s “superior” contractual knowledge
Time Obligations And Delays
- Badly drafted or lack of understanding time obligations
- Not preparing a detailed programme
- Not monitoring and updating programmes
- Failing to issue timely and effective delay notices
- Not keeping good records
Variations And Final Account
- Not starting as we mean to go on (i.e. the final account process)
- Not getting clear written instructions
- Not keeping good records
- Failing to value variations to maximising recovery
- Not getting ongoing agreement from the Contractor
Payment (Or rather lack of it!)
- Not submitting accurate and timely applications
- Underpayment, late or non-payment of applications
- Contra charges and other wrongful deductions
- Not getting the Final Account agreed and paid
- Not collecting retentions when they are due
If any of these problems sound familiar then the good news is that they can all be fixed.
You can find lots of free information that can help you on our website, and if you need some assistance why not pick up the phone and give our friendly team a call on 01773 712116. Alternatively, you can email StreetwisesSubbie here.
After all we have years of very specific practice! Remember, technology changes, problems don’t.