Wise Up Wednesday: What’s In Your Top 20? – Problems Not Music!
What’s In Your Top 20? – Problems Not Music!
Here’s your Streetwise Wise Up Wednesday. Sometimes quirky, sometimes hard hitting, but always guaranteed to make you think and take no more than 2 minutes to read. This week, it’s about your top 20 – problems not music.
As a Specialist Contractor, Trade Contractor, or Subcontractor you are an expert in what you do, whether that’s groundworks or roofing or anything else in between.
And irrespective of your size or specialisation there are usually a number of commercial and contractual challenges that are going to impact your business from time to time.
Here Are My Top 20 – What’s In Your Top 20?
This is my 51st year in construction! Crikey that’s a long time.
It’s also my 31st year of professional service to you guys, helping you to resolve problems and disputes. And, as you can probably imagine, in all that time I have dealt with an awful lot of different issues, but there are a number that keep on coming around.
Here are the top 20 issues that most Specialist Contractors, Trade Contractors and Subcontractors struggle with despite doing a great job on site and being an expert in your trade.
Unfair Contract Terms
- Subcontracts which do not properly reflect what’s been agreed or are badly drafted
- Lack of understanding of the terms of the contract
- Not complying with key contractual provisions
- Contractor’s “superior” contractual knowledge
Time Obligations And Delays
- Badly drafted or lack of understanding time obligations
- Not preparing a detailed programme
- Not monitoring and updating programmes
- Failing to issue timely and effective delay notices
- Not keeping good records
Variations And Final account
- Not starting as we mean to go on (i.e. the final account process)
- Not getting clear written instructions
- Not keeping good records
- Failing to value variations to maximising recovery
- Not getting ongoing agreement from the Contractor
Payment (Or rather lack of it!)
- Not submitting accurate and timely applications
- Underpayment, late or non-payment of applications
- Contra charges and other wrongful deductions
- Not getting the Final Account agreed and paid
- Not collecting retentions when they are due
Recognise Any – Are They In Your Top 20?
If any of these problems sound familiar then the good news is that they can all be fixed. You can find lots of free information that can help you on our website, and if you need some assistance why not pick up the phone and give our friendly team a call on 01773 712116.
After all we have years of very specific practice!
I hope you enjoyed this edition of ‘Wise Up Wednesday’ and that it gave you some food for thought.
if you would like to subscribe to your weekly copy of ‘Wise Up Wednesday’, which is sent direct to your email box, please contact us here.