Beware “The Enemy Within”…
Why “The Enemy Within”?
Anyone who knows me well, will know that I read a lot of non-fiction, and thanks to our youngest daughter I am reading “The Art of Happiness” by non other than H H Dalai Lama and Howard C Cutler. A bit out there, but very interesting nonetheless.
So, when I read the following passage it got me thinking, and it gave rise to this particular Wise Up Wednesday;
“This is very different from an ordinary enemy… This internal enemy, this inner enemy, has no other function than causing us harm. It is our true enemy, our ultimate enemy. It has no other function than simply destroying us, both in the immediate term and in the long term.”
Whilst the Dalai Lama was talking about the inner enemy within ones own mind, it got me thinking about the “inner enemies” within our own businesses. Because, day after day in my work resolving problems for Specialist Contractors I have a unique and objective view of their inner enemies, their very own “Enemies Within”.
The Specialist Contractors Top Ten Enemies Within
These “enemies within” manifest themselves in all sorts of different ways, lack of knowledge, the wrong people, wrong thinking etc. Or a combination of these and other factors, but however they occur, and in the words of the Dalai Lama; they have no other function than simply destroying us, both in the immediate term and in the long term.
So here they are;
1) Not understanding the contract
2) Not agreeing the basics of the contract properly
3) Ignoring contractual obligations
4) Failing to get written instructions
5) Failing to agree additional costs at the appropriate time
6) Not issuing proper notices when being delayed
7) Failing to understand and comply with the payment process
8) Failing to take remedial action when things are going wrong
9) Reluctance to escalate problems to the senior decision maker
10) Not taking appropriate advice sooner rather than later
Destroying The Enemy Within
Whilst it may never be possible to completely destroy the enemies within, we can take steps to minimise their impact on the success of our business. After all if we don’t take action they will destroy our business!
Maybe not today, maybe not next week or next month, but they are busy working away, and they have no other purpose…